Current:Home > ScamsNew Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements -WealthRoots Academy
New Hampshire Senate passes bill to expand scope of youth detention center victim settlements
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:57:13
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The New Hampshire Senate on Thursday passed legislation to greatly expand the scope of the out-of-court settlement process to compensate victims of abuse at the state’s youth detention center.
The state faces about 1,200 lawsuits alleging physical, sexual or emotional abuse stretching back six decades at the Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly called the Youth Development Center, in Manchester. As an alternative to litigation, lawmakers established a $100 million settlement fund with a two-year application period that started in January 2023, but most alleged victims have opted to go to court instead. The first trial is set to begin next month.
The Senate voted unanimously and without debate Thursday to make sweeping changes to the settlement process, including adding multiple new categories of abuse. Under the current system, former center residents can make claims based on sexual assault or first- and second-degree physical assault. The bill proposes allowing claims based on a slew of other crimes, including reckless conduct, criminal threatening, child endangerment, solitary confinement, unlawful strip search and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The bill, which now goes to the House, also increases the cap on awards. Currently, victims of sexual assault are eligible for up to $1.5 million, while payments for physical abuse are limited to $150,000. If the bill passes, victims of “egregious sexual abuse” would be eligible for up to $2.5 million, victims of non-sexual abuse could get up to $250,000 and those claiming they were held in solitary confinement could get up to $100,000. The filing period for claims would be extended by six months to June 30, 2025.
Supporters have called it a compromise that will better serve victims while possibly protecting the state from astronomical jury awards. Lawyers representing nearly all of those who have filed lawsuits have said they will recommend the settlement option for most of their clients if the bill becomes law, though hundreds plan to continue litigation.
So far, 307 claims have been filed and 102 have been settled, with an average award of $492,000, Attorney General John Formella told lawmakers last month.
The scandal came to light in 2019 after two former workers were charged with abusing David Meehan, a former resident who filed the first lawsuit in 2020 and has gone public with his story. Eleven former workers are now facing criminal charges, with the first criminal trial and Meehan’s civil trial scheduled for April.
veryGood! (43)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Real estate giant China Evergrande ordered by Hong Kong court to liquidate
- Maine lawmakers consider request to give subpoena power to committee investigating mass shooting
- Russian skater Kamila Valieva banned four years over doping, ending 2022 Olympic drama
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- 2024 Super Bowl: Latest odds move for San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs
- Maine lawmakers consider request to give subpoena power to committee investigating mass shooting
- Super Bowl flights added by airlines with nods to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Rise and shine: Japanese moon probe back to work after sun reaches its solar panels
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Mango’s Sale Has All the Perfect Capsule Wardrobe Staples You Need up to 70% off Right Now
- It's so Detroit: Lions' first Super Bowl was in sight before a meltdown for the ages
- Mystery surrounding 3 Kansas City Chiefs fans found dead outside man's home leads to accusations from victim's family
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Counselor says parents chose work over taking care of teen before Michigan school shooting
- Super Bowl locations: Past and future cities, venues for NFL championship game
- Judge denies Cher temporary conservatorship she’s seeking over son, but the issue isn’t dead yet
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
T.J. Holmes and Amy Robach’s Exes Andrew Shue and Marilee Fiebig Have Rare Airport Outing
'Vanderpump Rules' Season 11 premiere: Cast, trailer, how to watch and stream
Was Amelia Earhart's missing plane located? An ocean exploration company offers new clues
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Pakistani court convicts jailed ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan of revealing secrets ahead of elections
Love streaming on Prime? Amazon will now force you to watch ads, unless you pay more
Here's what to know about the collapse of China's Evergrande property developer